Indicators of CISS
CISS is as service that responds in a supportive and preventive manner to the stress incurred by healthcare team members involved crisis situation.
Some examples of crises that would be appropriate events to request CISM, and which can serve as "indicators," are:
- Child abuse
- Elder abuse
- Massive numbers of victims
- The duration of the crisis
- The scope of the crisis
- Exposure risk—bio-terrorism, nuclear
- Traumatic code
- Death of a colleague
- Death of an infant or child
- Inappropriate and distressing interaction with another healthcare team member, patient, or family
These indicators are crises in which the clinical staff is placed under tremendous professional and personal stress. In such instances, it is recommended that CISS be requested.
Who To Call For Help...
...For Critical Incident Stress Support
Chaplain Bill Dorman: