About Rev. Hugh A. Cooper
In 1903 the Rev. Hugh A. Cooper came to Albuquerque for the arid climate, considered the perfect therapeutic environment for one suffering from tuberculosis.
Shortly after his recovery, he became pastor of the First Presbyterian Church and in 1908 founded the Southwestern Presbyterian Sanatorium, a facility whose sole purpose was to care for the hundreds of TB patients flocking to the city.
As healthcare needs grew, the 'San', as it was fondly called, met the challenge, transforming itself over the years until today it is Presbyterian Healthcare Services, New Mexico's only locally owned, community-based, private, not-for-profit healthcare system with a managed care organization.
Presbyterian Healthcare Services was build on a foundation of caring by selfless leaders such as Rev. Cooper, and today's physicians, nurses and staff strive to honor that guiding spirit each and every day.