Free Seasonal Flu Shots Provided to the Public by Presbyterian Medical Group
News Release: October 12, 2009
Presbyterian Medical Group will provide free seasonal flu shots for the public at five Presbyterian Medical Group locations Saturday, October 17 from 8:00 a.m. to noon or until vaccine is gone.
The Presbyterian Medical Group Flu Shot Locations:
401 San Mateo Blvd. SE
3436 Isleta Blvd. SW
609 S. Christopher
In Los Lunas:
200 Emilio Lopez Rd.
In Rio Rancho:
4005 High Resort Blvd.
These clinics will provide seasonal flu shots, which DO NOT include the H1N1 (swine) flu vaccine. A separate vaccine to protect against novel H1N1 influenza is expected to be available later this month.
For their safety, children ages 17 and under cannot receive flu shots through this clinic and should get their shots from their regular pediatrician.
Some people are at risk for serious illness from the seasonal flu and should get a flu shot every year, including:
• People 65 years of age or older
• Residents of nursing homes and similar facilities
• Adults and children who have chronic heart or lung diseases, diabetes, kidney disease or serve forms of anemia.
• Healthcare workers in contact with people in high-risk groups
• Caregivers or people who live with someone in a high-risk group
The virus used to produce the seasonal flu vaccine is grown in eggs. People who are severely allergic to eggs should not get a flu shot.