Our Playground in the Sky
Rachel's Courtyard, part of the Child Life Program of The Children's Center at Presbyterian, is our playground in the sky. Rachel's Courtyard, a colorful, whimsical playground extends from the hospital's sixth floor Pediatric Unit.
Rachel's Courtyard at The Children's Center at Presbyterian
With a mix of shade and sun, tables and chairs, and planters and trees, Rachel's Courtyard is an inviting and relaxing place for Presbyterian's Children's Center patients, families and staff members, featuring:
- An interior play area with quiet spaces to sit and read a book
- A Teen Lounge to relax and listen to music
- "Rachel's Reach," a twelve panel metal and glass sculpture featuring children playing among moons, planets and galaxies
- An observatory to follow the movement of stars and planets
- Four different house fronts, each representing a different region of the country, containing games and activities for patients and children of all ages
- Computers so children can keep up with their schoolwork and communicate with other patients around the country in similar situations
- The courtyard faces west with a great view of downtown Albuquerque, the Jemez and Sangre de Cristo Mountains, and New Mexico's fantastic sunsets
Most importantly, patients visiting the courtyard will be within reach of the medical team
Who was Rachel?
Rachel Laub was a patient at Presbyterian's Children's Center. She spent most of her life either at home or at The Children's Center, tethered to medical equipment around the clock and closely monitored by her healthcare team. During this time, everyone involved in her care felt that if she had been able to go outside for a little while each day for fresh air and sunlight, it might have helped her feel better. This courtyard named in her memory makes this a reality for others.
Rachel's Courtyard Supporters Rachel's Courtyard evolved from a community dream into a community reality with generous donations by many individuals, foundations and local businesses, including but not limited to the following:
- McCarthy Contractors
- Lockheed Martin Sandia National Laboratories
- Child Life Director Rebecca Armstrong
- Rachel's parents, Tom and Julie Laub
- Dekker/Perich/Sabatini Architects
- Richard A. Borkovetz, Landscape Architect
- High Desert Forge
- Taylor Made Glass
- Presbyterian Foundation
- Individual Community Members
In Cooperation with the Presbyterian Foundation
Your contributions to the Child Life Program will continue to furnish Rachel's Courtyard and purchase medical educational materials that will help us provide the highest quality care and outcomes for our infants, children and adolescents.
The Children's Center
1100 Central Ave. SE
Albuquerque, NM 87106
NICU 800-432-4600, ext.1090
Pediatric Urgent Care (Albuquerque)
1100 Central SE
Open every day, 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Major holidays, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
If possible, please arrive at least one hour before closing.