- Women's Center Home
- About the Women's Center
- Medical Staff
- Feel Better at Any Age
- The Lactation Institute
- Women's Health Information
Get Your Zzzzs!
Sleeping is as important as diet and exercise to a busy mom like you. Use these guidelines for getting the sleep you need.
Prep for sleep:
- Use the bedroom for sleep and sex only (no TV, reading or working out).
- Avoid napping after 3 P.M.
- Don't eat two hours before bedtime; spend that time relaxing – no telephone calls or other activities that stimulate your brain.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and other substances during the day; these can keep you awake or keep you from the deepest, most restful sleep phases.
- Take a long, warm bath, play relaxing music and allow yourself to focus on winding down.
- Keep your room dark, quiet and cool to promote optimum conditions for sleep.
Get over it:
- Keep a notepad bedside to jot down thoughts as you drift toward sleep. By writing concerns you give yourself permission to worry about them tomorrow.
Shut your eyes:
- If after 20 minutes you find yourself staring at the ceiling, go to another room until you feel sleepy again.
- Don't lie in bed feeling wide awake, as this can impede good sleep habits from developing.
- If you still can't get to sleep, talk to your health care provider to make sure there are no other problems affecting you.