Orthopedics and orthopedic surgery is a specialty that focuses on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the bones and muscles. These can include sports injuries, or injuries from falls or other accidents. Our orthopedists also treat degenerative diseases, congenital (present since birth) diseases and infections. Our orthopedic surgery team performs joint replacement surgeries and repairs bony or muscular injuries. We offer both open and arthroscopic procedures, and are available to coordinate your care before, during and after surgery, including physical or occupational therapy rehabilitation if needed. Presbyterian’s orthopedists are available to provide a wide range of care for both adult and pediatric patients.
If you need to be seen quickly for orthopedic care, we can help. Our clinics in Albuquerque and Rio Rancho offer rapid access services, allowing patients to get the orthopedic care they need, usually within 24 to 72 hours. Our orthopedic specialists provide a wide range of care for both adult and pediatric patients, including sports medicine needs, such as broken bones, sprains and strains.
Presbyterian’s total joint replacement program has been a Joint Commission Center of Excellence since 2013.
A few common conditions treated include:
- Achilles and other tendon injuries
- Arthritis in the knees, hips, or shoulders
- Carpal tunnel disease
- Fractures (broken bones)
- Hand and wrist injuries
- Hip dysplasia
- Sports injuries such as sprains or muscle tears
- Trigger finger
Testing & Treatment Options
A few common tests and treatments include:
- Cast application and removal
- Internal fixation of bone fracture
- Joint replacements for hips, knees and shoulders
- Hip and knee replacement revision surgery
- Anterior and posterior hip replacement surgery
- Harrington rod placement
- Fittings for durable medical equipment
- On-site X-ray
- Repair of injured tendons or ligaments
- Rotator cuff repair
- Anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and meniscus repairs
Our orthopedic team provides inpatient and outpatient services, while working with a strong team of support staff to provide diagnostic care, treatment and rehabilitation services.